Dragon Door Kettlebells

Order Authentic Russian Kettlebells

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Speaking From Experience

Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one. I was going to say something different but I am trying to keep it PG on my blog.

Now, just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean that they formed their opinion based off of their own personal experience. Here is my issue with this. Often people's opinions are formed based on the experiences of friends, colleagues, blogs they read and articles, they perused through. Anyone can read an article, regurgitate some brief points and act like they have actually experienced it.

I have been guilty of this in the past, even just 2 weeks ago. I thought I knew more than I actually did and I would comment on things and form opinions based off on the little information and experience I had on the subject. As I mature, I am learning that knowledge is good, but knowledge paired with application is even better. As I coach, my goal is to speak from actual experience, nothing more or less. This is one way I can provide the best experience for all of my clients.

You can't triple stamp a double stamp.


The strength and conditioning world is full of egos, opinions and insanely strong beliefs. It's even gotten to the point that people get VERY upset when someone challenges his/her opinion. We argue about some pretty ridiculous points and go off on crazy tangents to try to convince other coaches that we are right. It's actually pretty dumb. The squat debate has gotten some major press in the last few years, but guess what it boils down to? If someone can squat safely and they are getting stronger, cool, squats are good. If it hurts them and their form is terrible, they shouldn't squat.

I honestly don't care what exercises, mobility and strength programs you prefer. If it works and your clients are healthy, happy, moving well and working towards their goals then you are doing something right. The goal is to keep the goal the goal. If you are doing something right, I can learn from you and that's cooler than Danny Zuko. If your clients are constantly injured then I might think twice about listening to you.


If you want to be a fat loss expert then help people lose weight.

If your goal is to be the best speed coach ever, I want to see some fast athletes you have trained.

If your goal is to be a strength coach then you might want to see if you are able get some clients strong.

Dive in and be the best coach you can be. Make changes in your clients before you call yourself a guru.

No comments:

Post a Comment